Soon after submitting your application to DHS, DHS will contact you for an interview. If DHS does not reach you they will send a notice of a time and date for your phone interview.
- If you are not available at the time that is arranged – call the DHS call center immediately to re-schedule, 1-855-697-4347.
- You may request an in-person interview, if you do not have a phone or prefer to meet with a worker in person. If you prefer an in-person interview you should request in on your application.
- You may select an authorized representative to complete the interview for you. Fill out the name of the authorized representative on the initial application, or request a form from the SNAP Outreach Project (1-866-306-0270) to appoint an authorized representative.
- If you miss your interview, call the DHS call center immediately to re-schedule, 1-855-697-4347.
Before the interview, gather any documents you did not send with your initial applicaiton (see list below). DHS needs to see these documents to verify your eligibility. Photocopies are prefered.
DOCUMENTS NEEDED FOR YOUR SNAP APPLICATION
1)Proof of identity and for immigrant applicants, verification of alien status (one of the below for each member of your household)
- Birth certificate
- Drivers license,
- Other Photo ID
- US Passport
- Resident alien card
2)Social security number, or proof that an application for one has been made
3)Proof of Rhode Island residency and housing costs
- Rent or Mortgage receipts
- Utility bills (gas, oil, electric)
- House insurance
- Property taxes
- A/C Charge verification
4)Proof of income (for each household member with income).
- Last 4 pay stubs
- Federal income tax return,
- Social Security Award Letter
- Workers Compensation
- Child support
5)If you have someone else caring for your child while you work, proof of childcare costs
6)Proof of payment of court-ordered child support
- Cancelled checks
- Money order receipts
- Copy of the court order
7)Proof of disability
- Letter from Social Security
- A completed DHS form from your Doctor
8)If over age 59 or disabled, proof of medical expenses not covered by health insurance
- Glasses hearing aids, etc
The Location of the DHS offices is below.
Mailed applications and documents should be sent to:
RI Department of Human Services
P.O. Box 8709, Cranston, RI 02920
Pawtucket: 249 Roosevelt Ave, Pawtucket, RI 02860, / Fax: 721-6659
Providence: 206 Elmwood Ave, Providence, RI 02907, / Fax: 415-8349
Wakefield: 4808 Tower Hill Rd, Suite G1, Wakefield, RI 02880, / Fax: 782-4316
Warwick: 195 Buttonwoods Ave, Warwick, RI 02886, / Fax: 736-1443
Woonsocket: 800 Clinton St, 2nd Floor, Suite 201, Woonsocket, RI 02895, / Fax: 768-3131